SO YOU’VE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH ROSACEA – NOW WHAT?
Chances are you probably have some combination of facial flushing/redness, visible blood vessels, and red painful bumps - and I’d be willing to bet that it’s affecting your quality of life. Whether it be your face turning bright red during a work presentation or first date, it can be understandably frustrating.
So what causes rosacea? While it is thought to be due to an over-reaction of your immune system, there are still many unknowns surrounding the exact cause. What we do know is that roughly 16 million Americans are currently suffering from this condition, many of whom say it effects their self esteem.
Before addressing treatment options, I think it’s important to first understand your triggers. Triggers can vary from person to person, but common culprits include alcohol (especially red wine), spicy foods, hot beverages, sun exposure, stress, exercise, and hot baths. Avoiding all of these may be near impossible, but avoiding them when you want to minimize your symptoms (such as special events) can be beneficial.
Unfortunately, there is no cure for rosacea, but there are several treatments and products that have been shown to help control symptoms.
As a general rule of thumb, keep your products simple and gentle. A few of my “rosacea staples” include Soothing Facial Rinse and Ret de la Blair- both of which I go into further detail below. For moderate to severe cases, prescription medications including metronidazole, doxycycline, and azelaic acid can be beneficial (all of which need to be prescribed and managed by your local dermatologist).
Aside from topical treatments, light therapy has also been shown to be very effective in reducing rosacea symptoms. In particular, IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) treatment can significantly diminish facial redness and eliminate visible blood vessels - two of the most common symptoms of rosacea. While this treatment isn’t a “one-and-done” procedure, once a year maintenance treatments do a great job of keeping symptoms at bay.
RECOMMENDED ROSACEA SKINCARE REGIMEN:
Every day I have rosacea patients come into the office in need of a skincare routine that is effective at anti-aging while also helping their rosacea symptoms. Below I have put together my go-to regimen for these patients.
1. Gentle Foaming Cleanser - This is my go-to cleanser for all of my rosacea patients. It’s gentle, fragrance free, and most importantly, it’s effective.
2. Soothing Facial Rinse - This is my rosacea secret weapon! I have yet to find a patient who doesn’t love this toner. Not only is it hydrating, but it immediately soothes the skin and reduces redness upon application. This is a must-have!
3. C+ Correcting Complex - Many Vitamin C’s can actually worsen rosacea due to their acidic nature. I always put my rosacea patients on this vitamin C because not only is it a great overall product, but many of my patients find that it reduces their rosacea symptoms which is in stark contrast to most other vitamin C’s.
4. Intellishade TruPhysical - I highly recommend a non-chemical sunscreen for those who suffer from rosacea. The reason I love this particular product is because it’s actually five products in one - a sunscreen, moisturizer, foundation, antioxidant, and peptide. If you like to keep your skincare steps to a minimum, consider this product a staple.EVENING ROUTINE:
1. Gentle Foaming Cleanser - A gentle, fragrance free, and effective cleanser.
2. Soothing Facial Rinse - Hydrating and soothing toner, ideal for reducing redness.
3. Ret de la Blair - Everyone needs a retinoid, even those with rosacea. Not surprisingly, most retinoids exacerbate rosacea and further increase skin irritation… besides this one. It is SO GENTLE and yet SO EFFECTIVE. It’s counterintuitive and seems too good to be true, but just trust me on this one - it’s a must have.
4. Creme de la Blair - A healthy skin barrier is so important for those suffering from rosacea. This product is a game changer when it comes to strengthening the skin barrier. And not only is it extremely nourishing, but it’s super soothing and hydrating at the same time